The founding of the city of Joensuu is celebrated annually on the 29th of November. All residents are wished warmly welcome to take part in the day!
Coffee and awards ceremony
Joensuu Day starts with a morning coffee event from 8-10 AM, which is open to everyone at Teatteriravintola (Rantakatu 20). At 8:30 AM commendable citizens of Joensuu will be rewarded there in many different categories.
Ceremony for new citizens
Ceremony for new citizens of Joensuu at 10-11 AM will be held on the big city theatre stage (Rantakatu 20): the program includes music, a greeting from the mayor Kari Karjalainen, introducing Joensuu Day award recipients, and introducing city services. The ceremony will be translated into English, Russian, Ukrainian, and Arabic.
Guided tours in several languages
After the ceremony, there will be the opportunity to participate in several guided tours
- City theatre and town hall (Rantakatu 20)
- Art museum Onni (Kirkkokatu 23)
- North Karelian Museum Hilma (Koskikatu 5)
- International House Joensuu (Malmikatu 5b)
These guided tours require registration in advance, due to the limited capacity of participants.
Tours will be organized in Finnish, English, Russian, Ukrainian, and Arabic. The Russian tours of town hall, art museum Onni, and North Karelian Museum Hilma will also be in Ukrainian. International House Joensuu tours will be in English and Russian.
Registraton for guided tours: https://link.webropolsurveys.com/s/joensuuday2022-guidedtours
Invitation to watch basketball in Joensuu
Joensuu, the city of sports, and Kataja Basket invite you to watch the Kataja Basket’s men's varsity team practice on Tuesday the 29th of November at 4 PM at Motonet Arena (Kisapolku 1).
To end the practice, Kataja's executive director Johannes Lasaroff and all of Kataja's coaching team Marko Tuononen (coaching manager, juniors) and Petri Velling (head coach, women and coach, juniors) will give background information on Joensuu's basketball history and talk about the possibilities of playing basketball as a hobby in Joensuu. Guest players are also possible.
You do not need to register to watch the practice, and it is open for all. You are welcome to watch the practice with the whole family! Spoken parts after practice will be translated into English, Russian, Ukrainian, and Arabic.
Free Program at museums
North Karelian Museum Hilma at Carelicum (Koskikatu 5) has open doors from 10 AM-7 PM.
- From 5 PM-5:45 PM Olga Filippova’s lecture Ukraine On the Road to Freedom in auditorium. The lecture is in English. Enter through the Carelicum lobby. Free of charge.
At 6 PM in the Hilma museum’s changing exhibition space
- Young harmonica players from the Conservatory will perform
- Greeting speech by the mayor Kari Karjalainen, which will be translated into English, Russian, and Arabic, if need be.
Mukulakatu, the children’s storyland is open, free of charge, on Joensuu Day from 10 AM-7 PM at North Karelia Museum (Koskikatu 5).
- At 6:30 PM, young harmonica players from the Conservatory will also perform at Mukulakatu.
Art museum Onni (Kirkkokatu 23) open doors from 10 AM-4 PM.
- At 3:15-3:45, the city orchestra duo will perform pieces of classic compositions in the art museum ballroom.