Parking, alasivun pääkuva
Parking in Joensuu
Parking is allowed only on marked parking spaces. Parking fee is charged on nearly all streets in the inner city centre from Monday to Saturday. Paid parking spaces are divided into three payment zones (vyöhyke 1–3). There is no time limit on paid parking.
Within a walking distance from the inner city centre, there are free, time-limited on-street parking spaces. There are also many car parks and garages in the city centre.
Parking, Payment zones
In the city centre, on-street parking is divided into three payment zones:
Zone 1 (vyöhyke 1), fare 1.80 € / h for the first hour, then 2.50 € / h
- Niskakatu between Kirkkokatu and Kauppakatu
- Kirkkokatu between Suvantokatu and Koskikatu
- Kirkkokatu between Niskakatu and Siltakatu
- Kauppakatu between Niskakatu and Yläsatamakatu
- Torikatu between Suvantokatu and Koskikatu
- Torikatu between Siltakatu and Yläsatamakatu
Zone 2 (vyöhyke 2), fare 1.50 € / h
- Kauppakatu between Malmikatu and Suvantokatu
- Torikatu between Malmikatu and Suvantokatu
- Torikatu between Yläsatamakatu and Pohjoiskatu
Zone 3 (vyöhyke 3), fare 1.30 € / h
- Kirkkokatu between Suvantokatu and Malmikatu
- Malmikatu between Kirkkokatu and Torikatu
Parking, Parking times
Parking fees are usually charged from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. On Saturdays, parking fees are charged from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Make sure to always check the chargeable times on the traffic signs.
The exception is Kirkkokatu 18, at the laboratory sampling point, where the time limit is 30 minutes. The starting time for parking must be indicated using a parking disc.
With the Service car parking permit, you can park on paid on-street parking space for one (1) hour. The parking time must be indicated using parking disc.
The General parking permit is suitable also for longer parking. Permit allows parking on paid parking spaces, zone 1 for one hour and zone 2 for two hours. The starting time (Zones 1 and 2) for parking must be indicated with a parking disc. Parking time is not limited on public paid car parks, paid on-street parking Zone 3 and parking permit areas A, B, C and D.
Parking, Motorcycles and mopeds
The parking fee is always per vehicle. Mobile payment is most convenient for the motorcyclist because payment slip is then not required. The payment slip from the ticket machine must be affixed to the motorcycle or moped.
Free parking for motorcycles and mopeds is located on the crossing of Siltakatu and Rantakatu, next to Vapaudenpuisto. In addition, mopeds have their own parking space on Siltakatu on the corner of Kirkkokatu.
Parking, Car parks and garages
Car parks and garages
Car parks, city centre
Public car parks in the city centre
- Elielinkuja, fee 2.00 € / h
- Pötkä, Rantakatu 34, fee 1.50 € / h
- Suvanto, Koulukatu 18, fee 1.50 € / h
- Koski, Koulukatu 22, fee 2.00 € / h
Ilosaari car park
- Siltakatu 1, fee 0.90 € / h
- paid parking permits in the city center are not valid in the area
Kenttämiehentie car park, Yliopistokatu 3
- fee 0.90 € / h
- monthly card 30 € / month
- semester card for students 75 € / semester
- annual fee 210 € / year
- paid parking is from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays
- season tickets are sold by Carelicum, Koskikatu 5
- paid parking permits in the city centre are not valid in the area
Parking garages in the city centre
- Carlson, Torikatu 18
- Citymarket, Kauppakatu 16
- Metropol, Torikatu 29b
- Myyn Parkki, Torikatu 25
- Niskaparkki, Niskakatu 26
- P-Centrum, Kirkkokatu 26
- P-Ykkönen, Kirkkokatu 18
- Sokos, Torikatu 20
- Toriparkki, Koskikatu 2 (entrance from the direction of Rantakatu)
Other parking garages
- Asemaparkki, Itäranta 12 (railway station)
- Hallitie, Hallitie 2 (Joensuu Science Park)
- Tikkaparkki, Tikkamäentie 16 (central hospital)
- Prisma, Kauppakaari
Parking, Car parks and garages, Kenttämiehentie
Parking, buses and trucks
Parking for buses and trucks
Parking, buses and trucks
On-street parking spaces for buses, trucks and motorhomes are located in the following places:
Siltakatu between Koulukatu and Kirkkokatu
- buses, trucks, motorhomes
- free of charge, time limit 2 hours on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. using a parking disc
Koskikatu between Kirkkokatu and Koulukatu
- buses, trucks, motorhomes
- free of charge, time limit 2 hours on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Kalevankatu between Siltakatu and Koskikatu
- buses, motorhomes
- free of charge, time limit 3 hours using a parking disc
Rantakatu between Siltakatu and Koskikatu
- free of charge, time limit 12 hours
Niskakatu between Kauppakatu and Torikatu
- Service car parking for trucks and vans
- fee 4 € / hour + operator fee, only mobile payment
Parking, Parking permits
The General parking permit and the Service car parking permit can be purchased for the public paid parking spaces in the city centre.
General parking permit
Anyone can obtain the General parking permit, which allows parking:
- In the public car parks of the city centre without a time limit
- Suvanto, Koulukatu 18
- Koski, Koulukatu 22
- Pötkä, Rantakatu
- In the city centre paid on-street parking spaces
- In zone 1 for one hour, using parking disc
- In zone 2 for two hours, using parking disc
- In zone 3 without time limit
- At Resident parking permit spaces in the city centre (A, B), Niinivaara (C) and Penttilä (D) without time limit, but not on the spaces reserved for resident parking. Resident parking (asukaspysäköintitunnus) spaces are indicated with a traffic sign.
The General parking permit does not allow parking at Niskakatu 5–7 in the paid parking spaces for service cars or in the paid parking spaces in Keskuskuja.
Price of the General parking permit is 600 € / year or 65 € / month.
The Service car parking permit
The Service car parking permit is intended for use by companies for short-term parking. The permit allows the company to park the service car on paid street parking space for one (1) hour. The parking time must be indicated using parking disc. The Service car parking permit does not allow parking at Niskakatu 5–7 in the paid parking spaces for service cars or in the paid parking spaces in Keskuskuja.
Parking is always prohibited on the pedestrian street, bike path and sidewalk.
The permit is company-specific and costs 350 € / year.
From the beginning of the year 2022 The Service car parking permit can be bought also for one month. The price for one month’s permit is 35 €.
The General parking permits and The Service car parking permits can be bought from the online store at joensuu.easypark.net. For additional information contact Joensuun Pysäköinti Oy +358 050 468 3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Disabled parking permit
The Disabled parking permit is personal and can be issued if the conditions for issuing it are met on the basis of a medical report. The symbol may be used on the vehicle in which the holder is himself a driver or being transported. The Disabled parking permit is applied via The Finnish Transport and Communications Agency’s electronic service or by submitting an application to Ajovarmas's service point (Ajovarma Joensuu, Voimatie 3). The Disabled parking permit must be placed in a visible place during parking.
Parking permits and Resident parking permits
Some street sections and parking spaces in the residential areas of the city centre, Niinivaara and Penttilä have a parking permit system which enables long-term parking on the street. Short-term parking is possible using the parking disc. The Parking permit and The resident parking permit spaces are always indicated by an additional mark on the traffic sign. Notice that some of the streets have so-called weekly parking. On these streets, parking is only allowed on one side at a time, even with parking permit.
On wide streets, parking is usually allowed on both sides of the street. A daily ban for winter maintenance is indicated on a separate additional traffic sign. The time of the parking ban related to the weekly parking or maintenance day is indicated on the first or top additional sign of the traffic sign. Parking bans also apply to users of parking permits.
The Parking permit can be bought for example for running errands or business parking. The permit can be purchased for one or more months or for a whole year at the time. The Parking permit A, B, C or D enables parking without a time limit. With this permit it is not possible to park on spaces for resident parking (asukaspysäköintitunnus) indicated by traffic sign.
The Resident parking permit can be bought by a person who is permanently living in the parking permit area in their own residential area (one permit / apartment). The Resident parking permit allows parking without a time limit at the times indicated on the additional sign of the traffic sign. It can be used to park in both resident parking spaces and parking permit spaces in Your own residential area (A, B, C or D).
Carelicum services, Koskikatu 5, sells the Resident parking permits for a calendar year / desired number of months. The Resident parking permit can also be purchased from the online store at joensuu.easypark.net.
Parking permits for the calendar year can be purchased from Carelicum services, but monthly permits are purchased through the electronic services at joensuu.easypark.net.
- A: northern grid plan
- B: southern grid plan
- C: Niinivaara area
- D: Penttilä area
- Map of all parking areas (A–D)
Prices for The Parking permits A–D and The Resident parking permits in 2022:
- Parking permit A, B, C or D 200 € / year or 25 € / month
- Resident parking permits (one / apartment) 105 € / year or 10.50 € / month
Example of the so-called weekly parking traffic sign with parking permit A additional sign below: